Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Being Honest with God

Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my concerns.
See if there is any offensive way in me;
lead me in the everlasting way.
There is danger in praying this Psalm. Asking the omniscient God to search and know our hearts is very dangerous.
First, God does not need to search our hearts. He knows every thought, every deed, every hurt, every joy, and the truth behind every lie. When we ask God to search our heart the Holy Spirit will engage in His ministry of conviction. What God already knows will be revealed to us in our minds, in our hearts, and cut to the very depths of our soul.
Why would God engage in such a painful ministry to us? To give us the opportunity to confess, repent, and allow the blood of Christ to cleanse of us of all that is impure.
The psalmist also asks God to test us and know our concerns. These concerns might be guilt (a tool of the enemy) or conviction (the ministry of the Holy Spirit). These might be genuine concerns for the well being of others. He may lay a burden on our hearts for those areas where He is calling us (you!) to engage in ministry.
“See if there is any offensive way in me;” Another way to translate this is, “See if there is any idolatrous way in me.” (emphasis added) What am I putting before God? Is He my Lord? Or, am I still a slave to a besetting sin?
Finally, the petition. “Lead me in the everlasting way.” The psalmist is saying he wants to surrender all of his life to Jesus Christ. He wants to examine his life--including his time--and see how he can better serve the Lord. He wants the Lord's way; not his own way.
The psalmist is being open, honest and candid with God. He is saying, “Reveal to me all my wickedness that I might confess my sins to You, repent of these sins, and be washed with the blood of Christ. May I inherit the righteousness of Christ that was given to me on Calvary’s Cross, by mercy and grace, through faith in my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.”
Now you’re ready. Let the battle begin!